Monday, October 31, 2011

Occupy Wall Street

It’s incredible to think that these events unfolding on the streets of major American cities could be the start of something revolutionary.

I’m pressed to consider that perhaps I’ve been too complacent when it has come to goverance. I’ve always thought that it was wrong, but I’ve never considered the possibility of real tangible change. After all, we’re living in the system. 

Honestly, I think that operating within the system, abiding by its rules, there are things that I’ve amassed that don’t want to lose. My parents have basically ensured that I do well within the boundaries of society. To a certain extent it’s never been about doing the right thing, but more like doing what’s expected of you without griping. Maybe it’s an Asian mentality or an idea ingrained within us from the culture: that shit happens when you disrespect authority.

I guess in part I’m still uninformed about what the fuss is about. Maybe it’s an inescapable feeling of futility because while the citizens on the streets protest corporate greed, I can’t help but feel that it’s just an extension of a natural human condition. Entities with power exploit weaker entities.

I guess I’m still stuck trying to figure out whether or not the efforts are futile. Do I genuinely believe that change is even possible? Is greed inevitable? Are the power dynamics of the strong vs weak natural?

I think I’ve always been able to envision a somewhat idealized world.

I’ve come to the conclusion is that what I want to advocate is community and not government, but society has progressed well past the point of being able to be regulated by community alone. The practice of community has gone out of favor although it has seen resurgence with the notion of “online communities” gaining popularity.

Does the decrease in identification with one’s physical surrounds decrease their sense of community in it - that physical space. Instead we find ourselves more and more drawn to the intangible and find sense of belonging in that regard. Under those circumstances we find community in interests which go beyond the lower levels of simple needs. I think there needs to be a reconnection with a sense of belonging that stems from the fulfilling of basic survival needs - where we take shelter, where we obtain food, where we derive protection, etc. 

Maybe the problem is that now the origins of the things that allow us to survive are opaque. We have been so far removed from the feeling of achievement. There is no equity in comparisons anymore. Or was there ever?

The world is on fire.

No comments: